There are two evaluation programs offered – California State Certificate of Merit Program and The Carnegie Hall Royal Conservatory Achievement Program (The Achievement Program), which provides a recognized National Standard of musical success through an effectively sequenced course of study from beginner to advanced levels.
The Music Teachers’ Association of California, MTAC, incorporated in 1897, is a professional organization. Throughout its 100 year history, MTAC has dedicated its efforts towards the pursuit of excellence in music education.
B-Sharp Piano Studio founder, Elizabeth Smolgovsky, served on the Board of Directors of the San Mateo County Branch since late 90s. Mrs. Smolgovsky proudly served as Vice President and Program Director in 2004 – 2006, and as a President of the San Mateo County Branch, 2006 through 2008. She continued the mission of the Music Teachers’ Association of California of promoting excellence in the music teaching profession. The branch maintains its own schedule of programs and activities and participates in CA state wide projects and programs, such as Certificate of Merit.
The Goals of Certificate of Merit program is:
- To provide a systematic and comprehensive plan to develop performance skill, technique, ear-training and sight reading skills, and understanding of music theory.
- To provide practical goals to help students maintain a steady and focused appreciation of their musical studies
- To encourage students to strive for musical excellence
- To create opportunities in which students may share their music
Student Opportunities include:
- Annual evaluation covering performance, technique, ear training, sight reading, and written theory (Path A and Path B)
- Annual Certificate for passing all phases of the attempted level (Path A and Path B)
- Senior Medallions for graduating seniors who qualify (Path A)
- Branch honors recognition (Path A)
- Convention program performances (Path A)
- Convention Honors programs for Advanced-Panel students
Many students of B-Sharp Piano Studio participate in the annual MTAC evaluation and Certification program, thus they follow a systematic and comprehensive plan to develop performance skill, technique, ear-training and music theory under the supervision of the Nationally Certified Teacher of Music, Elizabeth Smolgovsky, NCTM.
The Achievement Program inspires excellence through individual student assessments and allows students to celebrate accomplishment and track their progress with others across the country. There are many benefits of the participation in The Achievement Program as it enriches students lives. All students deserve the opportunity to celebrate their musical achievements nationally.